A circa 1810 engraving of the House from "Peacock's Polite Repository"
House & Family History: The large 15th century moated house was rebuilt on a smaller scale by Sir Henry Wright, 1st Bt., circa 1660. During a visit in July 1665 Pepys wrote admiringly of Dagnam. In the 1730s the House was extended by Edward Carteret. The Estate was sold in 1772 to Sir Richard Neave, 1st Bt., a West India merchant, who rebuilt Dagnam Park in brick with nine bays and a central bow window. In 1940 the House and grounds were requisitioned by the government and used for billeting soldiers; near the end of World War II a V2 rocket damaged Dagnam. The London County Council purchased the Estate for £60,000 under a compulsory purchase order, promising to restore the House as a club center. The LCC installed a caretaker who promptly stole the lead off the roof, which led to the decay of Dagnam and its eventual demolishment.
Garden & Outbuildings: On the south side of the Estate was a large lake and; on the west side stood the largest cork Ilex tree in England. There was also a drive leading from Noak Hill that passed between the House and Stables and garden and continued in a straight line to the main Romford to Brentwood Road. In 1919 the Dagnam Estate was broken up and sold at auction as separate lots. The former grounds of the Estate are now a public park open to the public. Humphry Repton designed the pond circa 1815.
Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
Year Published: 1981
Reference: pg. 47
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Henry Wright, 1st Bt., 17th century. Edward Carteret, 1730s. Henry Muilman, 1749-72. Sir Richard Neave, circa 1770; Thomas Digby Neave, late 18th century; Sir Thomas Neave, 5th Bt., 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Public Park
Ownership Details: The former grounds of the Estate are now a public park.
House Open to Public: Grounds Only
Historic Houses Member: No