DiCamillo Companion

Cwrt-yr-Ala House (Court-Yr-Ala House) (Cwrtyrala) (Michaelston-le-Pit)

  • Earlier Houses: An earlier medieval house, Cwrtyrala (the first house), was located on, or near, the site of the current house.

    Built / Designed For: Thomas Bates Rous

    House Replaced By: The second, 19th century, house designed by Edward Haycock (the focus of this record) was demolished in the 1930s and replaced by the current (third) neo-Georgian house.

  • Architect: Edward Haycock Sr.

    Date: 1819-20
    Designed: Second house (demolished) for Thomas Bates Rous

    View all houses

    Architect: Percy Edward Thomas

    Date: 1939-40
    Designed: Third house for Sir Herbert Merrett

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 250, 1853.

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT FIRST HOUSE: de Raleigh family, 16th century. SEATED AT SECOND HOUSE: Robert Rous, 1788-1806; Thomas Bates Rous, early 19th century; Rous family here until 1907. William Henry Brain, 1908-34. SEATED AT THIRD HOUSE: Sir Herbert Merrett, 20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No