DiCamillo Companion
Scotland

Cumbernauld House (Cumbernauld Castle)

  • Earlier Houses: There were at least two earlier houses near the current house, including the medieval Cumbernauld Castle. Mary, Queen of Scots, visited the Castle in January of 1562; during her stay the Great Hall collapsed. In 1651, during the English Civil War, General Monck besieged Cumbernauld Castle. After the new House was built in 1731, the Castle was converted to Stables. The Stables burned down in 1746, when soldiers were billeted in the old castle.

    Built / Designed For: 6th Earl of Wigtown

  • Architect: William Adam, Sr.

    Date: 1731
    Designed: House for 6th Earl of Wigtown

    View all houses
  • Vitruvius Scoticus: Adam, W., pls. 125, 126, 1810.

    John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 143, 1855.

  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Category A

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: John Comyn III of Badenoch, 14th century. Malcolm Fleming, 3rd Lord Fleming, 16th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: John Fleming, 6th Earl of Wigtown, 18th century; Charles Elphinstone-Fleming, 19th century; Cornwallis Maude-Fleming, late 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family

    Ownership Details: Converted into flats in 2017.

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No