The House from a circa 1910 Player's Cigarette Card
The House on an 1820s Staffordshire plate
Built / Designed For: Sir Nathaniel Bacon
House & Family History: James Wyatt rebuilt Culford and remodeled the interiors in a restrained Greek Revival style for the 1st Marquess Cornwallis between 1790 and 1796. George Wyatt added the Doric Portico (demolished) for the 2nd Marquess between 1806 and 1808. William Young's late 19th century work for the 5th Earl Cadogan is in an ornate Italian Baroque style. The earls Cadogan assigned the name of the House to several streets in London on their Chelsea Estate.
Garden & Outbuildings: William Young added range with tower in Italianate style for 5th Earl Cadogan. Thomas Leverton designed some of the lodges in 1803. Thomas Wright landscaped; Humphry Repton landscaped in the 1790s.
Architect: Samuel WyattDate: 1790-96
Architect: George WyattDate: 1806-08
Architect: William YoungDesigned: Added range with tower in Italianate style for 5th Earl
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p .99, 1855.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. IV, 1821.
Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
Year Published: 1981
Reference: pg. 227
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Nathaniel Bacon, early 17th century. Charles Cornwallis, 1st Marquess Cornwallis, 18th century. George Henry Cadogan, Viscount Chelsea, later 5th Earl Cadogan, late 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: School
Primary Current Ownership Use: School
Ownership Details: Today Culford School. The House is available for weddings and other events.