DiCamillo Companion
England

Crownest House (Crow Nest Park), Lightcliffe

  • Earlier Houses: An earlier house (the first house) was demolished in the 1780s by William Walker and replaced by the second house, the focus of this record, which was based on Carr of York's nearby Pye Nest.

    Built / Designed For: William Walker

    House & Family History: Ann Walker (1803-54), later partner of Anne Lister (known as "Gentleman Jack"), grew up at Crownest and spent most of her life here. Walker and Lister were married in Britain's first known lesbian wedding, their union sealed by taking the sacrament together on Easter Sunday in 1834 at Holy Trinity Church, Goodramgate, York (the church has a commemorative plaque acknowledging the event). After the death of Richard Kershaw in 1917 Crownest House was never occupied as a home again. During World War II Italian POWs were billeted in the house and park; after the war Crownest House was abandoned and became ruinous, which led to its demolition in the 1950s.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: In the mid-19th century Crownest House sat in an 82-acre park, much of which is today a golf course.

  • Architect: Thomas Bradley

    Date: 1788
    Designed: House for William Walker

    View all houses
  • Vitruvius Britannicus: C. New, I, pls. 64-66, 1802.

  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 152
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Lost Houses of the West Riding
    Author: Waterson, Edward; Meadows, Peter
    Year Published: 1998
    Reference: pg. 55
    Publisher: Yorkshire: Jill Raines
    ISBN: 0951649442
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT FIRST HOUSE: Mitchell family. SEATED AT SECOND HOUSE: William Walker, 18th century; Walker family here until the mid-19th century. Sir Titus Salt (as tenant of the Walkers), 1844-58; (as owner), 1867-76. Richard Kershaw, 1878-1917.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

    Ownership Details: Today Crow Nest Park Golf Club

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only - By Appointment

    Phone: 01484-401-152

    Email: info@crownestgolf.co.uk

    Website: https://www.crownestgolf.co.uk/

    Historic Houses Member: No