DiCamillo Companion

Craigcrook Castle

  • Built / Designed For: William Adamson

    House & Family History: Craigcrook has an important 19th century literary legacy. Sir Walter Scott was a frequent visitor; the English poet Gerald Massey, an editor of "The Edinburgh News," wrote the poem "Craigcrook Castle," considered one of his masterpieces, after a stay at Craigcrook; and the castle was known as a venue for literary salons with participants Charles Dickens, Hans Christian Andersen, Lord Tennyson, and George Eliot. In the 1960s the castle was the home to an architectural practice; from 1986 until 2004 Craigcrook was the Scottish headquarters of Marine Harvest Ltd.; it remained a commercial office space until 2014, when it was listed for sale as a private residence. Like virtually every castle in Scotland (one of the most haunted countries in the world), Craigcrook is said to be haunted; in this case, by the ghost of Francis Jeffrey, Lord Jeffrey, who lived here in the early 19th century.

  • Architect: William Henry Playfair the Younger

    Date: 1835
    Designed: Remodeled House for David Roberts

    View all houses

    Architect: Thomas Greenshields Leadbetter

    Date: 1891
    Designed: Eastern addition to House

    View all houses
  • House Listed: Category B

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: William Adamson, 16th century; Adamson family here until 1659. John Mein, 17th century. Sir John Hall, 17th century. Walter Pringle, 17th century. John Strachan, 1689-1719. Archibald Constable, early 19th century. Francis Jeffrey, Lord Jeffrey, 1815-50. William Stirling, 19th century. John Hunter Watt, 19th century. Robert Croall, 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Unknown

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Unknown

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No