The Entrance Facade
Detail of the Entrance Facade
The left wing of the Entrance Facade
The Garden Facade
Built / Designed For: Sir John Langham, 4th Baronet
House & Family History: Reputedly the inspiration for Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park," the lovely red brick Cottesbrooke is a near-perfect example of Queen Anne architecture. With the exception of some minor changes, the House has remained virtually unchanged since it was built in the early 18th century. The Cottesbrooke Estate was purchased in 1635 by Sir John Langham, 1st Bt., a rich London merchant and MP. His descendant, Sir John Langham, 4th Bt., built the current house, possibly to the designs of the famous "Smith of Warwick," in the early 18th century. By the late 19th century the Langham family had fallen into straightened financial circumstances and were forced to let Cottesbrooke; one of their most famous tenants was the Princess Diana of her day: The Empress Elisabeth of Austria (wife of Emperor Franz Joseph); the Empress leased the House in 1877 to ride to hounds in Northamptonshire (she was noted for her love of riding). In 1911 the Langhams moved permanently to Ireland and sold the Cottesbrooke Estate to Captain Robert Bingham Brassey, MP. In 1937 the Macdonald-Buchanan family purchased Cottesbrooke and hired Lord Gerald Wellesley (later the 7th Duke of Wellington) to make alterations to the House, including moving the entrance from the East to the West Facade and converting old Entrance Hall into today's Pine Room.
Collections: One of the finest collections of sporting paintings in the world (and certainly the finest in Europe), the Woolavington Collection at Cottesbrooke was begun by Sir James Buchanan (later Lord Woolavington). The collection includes works by Ben Marshall, Sir John Frederick Herring Sr., Alfred Munnings, John Ferneley Sr., and George Stubbs. Formed principally at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries, the collection was originally housed at Lavington Park in Sussex and moved to Cottesbrooke when Lord Woolavington's descendants, the Macdonald-Buchanan family, came to live here in the 1930s. Other artists included in the collection are Lionel Edwards, de Laszlo, and Zoffany. In addition to the Woolavington Collection, there is also a collection of notable furniture, including excellent 18th century English and French, as well as English, Continental, and Chinese porcelain. John Constable's "Stratford Mill on the Stour" was transferred to The National Gallery in lieu of inheritance tax.
Garden & Outbuildings: The gardens are an entirely a 20th century creation. South of the House, the garden, surrounded by wrought iron railings, was laid out in 1937 by Geoffrey Jellicoe in the form of a quadripartite parterre, while the Statue Walk, created in 1938, is lined with yew hedges and has four exceptional statues by Peter Scheemakers that were originally in the Temple of Ancient Virtue at Stowe. The sunken courtyard garden, with pool and pergola, was designed by Robert Weir Schultz. The garden was winner of the Historic Houses Association/Christie's Garden of the Year Award in 2000.
Architect: Geoffrey Alan JellicoeDate: 1937
Architect: Francis SmithDate: 1702-13
Architect: Robert MitchellDate: Circa 1770-95
Country Life: LXXIX, 168, 194, 1936. CXVII, 736, 806, 1955. CXLVII, 434, 1970.
Title: Historic Country Houses of Leicestershire and Rutland, The
Author: Cantor, Leonard
Year Published: 1998
Publisher: Leicester: Kairos Press
Book Type: Softback
Title: Disintegration of a Heritage: Country Houses and their Collections, 1979-1992, The
Author: Sayer, Michael
Year Published: 1993
Publisher: Norfolk: Michael Russell (Publishing)
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade I
Park Listed: Grade II
Current Seat / Home of: Alastair Macdonald-Buchanan; family here since 1937.
Past Seat / Home of: Sir John Langham, 1st Bt., 17th century; Langham family here 1635-1911. Captain Robert Bingham Brassey, MP, 1911-37. Ronald Tree, 20th century. Captain John Macdonald-Buchanan, until 2014.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home