DiCamillo Companion
England

Cothelstone Manor

  • Earlier Houses: There was at least one earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.

    House & Family History: Cothelstone Manor was the primary seat of the Stawell family from circa 1087 to 1646, when it was largely destroyed in the Civil War. After the Restoration, the manor was repaired for use as a farm house and was eventually sold to a Mr. Jeffries, circa 1791. Cothelstone was almost entirely rebuilt in 1855-56 by his grandson, Mr. Jeffries-Esdaile. (We are grateful to Brian Stowell for this brief history of Cothelstone). Pevsner, writing in "The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset," states that Cothelstone Manor is a house of modest size with a center and two projecting wings and that the right half of the house is largely a 19th century reconstruction.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The Summer House and the Loggia are extant.

  • Title: Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, The
    Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus
    Year Published: 1958
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Sir Adam de Coveston, 11th century. Sir Matthew de Stawell, 14th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Sir John Stawell, 17th century; Stawell family here from 1066 until 1791. Edward Jeffries, 1791-1814; Edward Jeffries Esdaile, until 1867.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No