DiCamillo Companion
England

Costessey Hall (Cossey Hall) (Cotesby Hall) (Costessey Manor)

  • Earlier Houses: The original medieval manor house (the first house) on the north side of the River Tud was replaced as the Jerningham seat by the 16th century house (the second house) that is the focus of this record. Ironically, the earlier medieval manor house still stands.

    House & Family History: The first mention of Costessey Manor, as it was then called, was in 1066, when William the Conqueror gave it to Alan Rufus, Earl of Richmond. Costessey was given by Queen Mary I to Sir Henry Jerningham, her master of the household and one of group responsible for her succession as queen. In 1564 Sir Henry began construction of a new E-plan house on the south side of the River Tud, replacing the original manor house on the north side of the river (it still stands today in Costessey Park and may have been granted to Anne of Cleves by Henry VIII). Between circa 1826 and circa 1855 enormous additions in a red brick Gothick-Tudor style, including a large machicolated tower, were made to the house for the 9th Lord Stafford to the designs of John Chester Buckler. During the 19th century alterations and additions made, with plans to destroy the 16th century house; intervention by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) prevented this and resulted in the old house being incorporated as part of the new additions. In 1913 the contents were sold and the house left empty; in 1914, at the beginning of the Great War, Costessey was commandeered by the War Office. In 1919, at the end of the war, the family decided to demolish the house, which took place in 1925, when the estate was also broken up and sold in separate lots. At the 1925 sale Cecil Grosvenor Sargent purchased the carved oak paneling and stone fireplace from Lady Stafford’s boudoir at Costessey and installed them in Morningthorpe Manor, where they remain today. The Grade II-listed red brick belfry block by the 18th fairway of the Costessey Park golf course is all that remains of the great house today (it is this remnant to which the Grade II listing in the "Listed" section refers).

    Collections: The contents of Costessey Hall were sold in 1913.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Sir John Soane designed the stables and dovecote in 1784 (both demolished).

    Chapel & Church: The Jerninghams were a noted recusant (Catholic) family. Edward Jerningham created the Gothick style chapel in 1809, which contained the medieval east window of Ringland Church, given to the Jerningham family by the Berneys of Morton. When the estate was broken up and sold in 1925, the Ringland window was moved to America.

  • Architect: John Soane

    Date: 1784
    Designed: Stables and dovecote (demolished)

    View all houses

    Architect: John Chester Buckler

    Date: Circa 1826-55
    Designed: Additions to House, including 130-ft tower, for Lord Stafford.

    View all houses

    Architect: Edward Jerningham

    Date: 1809
    Designed: Chapel for himself
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses
  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. I, 1824

  • Title: Creating Paradise: The Building of the English Country House, 1660-1880
    Author: Wilson, Richard; Mackley, Alan
    Year Published: 2000
    Reference: pg. 35
    Publisher: London: Hambledon and London
    ISBN: 1852852526
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
    Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
    Year Published: 1981
    Reference: pg. 101
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110351
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT FIRST HOUSE: Alan Rufus, Earl of Richmond, 11th century. Queen Anne of Cleves, 16th century. SEATED AT SECOND HOUSE: Henry Stafford-Jerningham, 9th Baron Stafford, 19th century; Jerningham family here from the 16th century until the early 20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Ruinous

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No