DiCamillo Companion

Coole Park

  • Built / Designed For: Robert Gregory

    House & Family History: Coole Park was built for the wealthy East Indian Nabob Robert Gregory, circa 1770. Bows were added to the Garden Facade early in Victoria's reign. Coole is most famous as the home of Augusta, Lady Gregory, co-founder of the Abbey Theatre, playwright, and author. During her time at Coole in the early 20th century the House was a center of the arts; Yeats and other leading figures of the Irish literary and artistic revival were frequent visitors. Coole often features in Yeats poems. The Department of Lands purchased the Estate in 1927 and allowed Lady Gregory to remain in residence for the rest of her life. In 1941, nine years after Lady Gregory's death, Coole Park was demolished.

  • Title: Guide to Irish Country Houses, A
    Author: Bence-Jones, Mark
    Year Published: 1988
    Publisher: London: Constable and Company
    ISBN: 0094699909
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Unknown

    Park Listed: Unknown

  • Past Seat / Home of: Robert Gregory, 18th century. Sir William and Lady Augusta Gregory, 19th-20th centuries.

    Current Ownership Type: Government

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction

    Ownership Details: House demolished 1941. Grounds owned and operated by the National Parks & Wildlife Service.

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only

    Phone: 91-631-804

    Fax: 91-631-653

    Email: info@coolepark.ie

    Website: http://www.coolepark.ie

    Historic Houses Member: No