A 1788 hand-colored engraving from "The Seats of the Nobility and Gentry in Great Britain and Wales"
Earlier Houses: The current 18th century house sits on the site of a circa 1555 house built by the Coghill family.
Built / Designed For: Ellen, Countess of Conyngham.
House & Family History: In 1796 Ellen, the Dowager Countess Conyngham, purchased Coghill Hall, together with 51 acres, from Sir John Coghill and changed the name to Conyngham House. In April 1941 the House became an annex to Harrogate District Hospital and was used as a temporary hospital for injured soldiers during World War II. Conyngham was sold to the Urban District Council of Knaresborough in June 1946 for £17,500 and has remained in council ownership ever since.
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Marmaduke Coghill, 16th century. Sir John Coghill, Bt., 18th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Ellen, Countess Conyngham of Mount Charles, 1796-1816. Marcus Worsley, 19th century. Basil Woodd, 1856-1901. Charles E. Charlesworth, 1905-19. Sir Harold Mackintosh, 1925-42.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Conference Center
Ownership Details: Owned by Harrogate Burrough Council and used as a conference center and office space.