DiCamillo Companion
DiCamillo Griffin Logo

Colwick Hall

  • Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.

    Built / Designed For: John Musters

    House & Family History: The Musters family, the ancestral family seated at Colwick, sold up in 1889 to Sir Horatio Davies, who leased the Estate to the Nottingham Racecourse Company. After its used as a racecourse ceased, Colwick was used alternately as a restaurant and hotel. Today the freehold is owned by Nottingham City Council, with the leasehold held by Scottish & Newcastle on a 99-year lease that commenced in 1972. The House was restored in 2003 (as a hotel operated by Pearl Hotels & Restaurants Group) by local builder Chek Whyte, who also restored Bunny Hall (2002, his home until 2007), Clifton Hall (2006), Lenton Lodge (2008, a Gatehouse to Wollaton Hall), and Stanford Hall (2009), all in Nottinghamshire. An early 18th century wrought iron gate from Colwick is now in the collection of the Castle Museum, Nottingham.

  • Architect: John Carr

    Date: 1776
    Designed: Remodeled House and designed Stables for John Musters

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 227
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Georgian: The Magazine of the Georgian Group, The
    Author: NA
    Year Published: NA
    Reference: Autumn/Winter 2002, pg. 49
    Publisher: London: The Georgian Group
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Magazine

    Title: Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, The
    Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Williamson, Elizabeth (Revised)
    Year Published: 1979
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: 0140710027
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • "The Upper Hand" (1995 - TV, episode 6.14, "The Wedding," in which Caroline and Charlie are married at the derelict church adjacent to Colwick Hall).
  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Byron family, 1362 until circa 1660. Sir James Stonehouse, circa 1660. Musters family, 17th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: John Musters, 18th century; Chaworth-Musters family here from circa 1805 until 1889. Colonel Sir Horatio Davies, 1889-96.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel

    Ownership Details: Today Colwick Hall Hotel

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 08707-557-756

    Fax: 01159-243-797

    Email: reservations@colwickhallhotel.com

    Website: https://colwickhallhotel.com/

    Historic Houses Member: No