An 1829 engraving of the House from "Jones' Views of Seats"
Built / Designed For: P.C. Crespigny
House & Family History: Colney was begun circa 1770 for P.C. Crespigny, but abandoned by him at the death of his wife. The House was completed by Charles Bourchier, governor of Madras, circa 1785. The architect's plans for the House are today in the collection of the Bodleian Library.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, 1825.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: P.C. Crespigny, 18th century. Charles Bourchier, 18th century.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No