House & Family History: William Penn preached at Chew Magna in 1687. In 1940 the Estate was purchased by the Sisters of the Order of Our Lady of the Missions, who operated a convent and boarding school here until the early 21st century. Chew Magna was listed for sale for £2.5 million in October 2002; it was later redeveloped for residential use.
Country Life: CXXIX, 1480, 1538, 1961.
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Richard Vickris, 17th century. Summer family, 18th century. William Adlam, 19th century; Adlam family here from circa 1855 until 1940.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No