The House from a 1900 photograph in "Country Magazine"
The Drawing Room from a 1900 photograph in "Country Magazine"
Built / Designed For: Henry Jermyn
House & Family History: Cheveley resembled Horseheath Hall (demolished), which was built ten years earlier (in the 1660s). Cheveley was demolished piecemeal: the 18th century wings were demolished 1857-58; the Burn house was demolished circa 1892; the Edis house, the last remaining element, was demolished in 1926.
Collections: A painting of Cheveley by Jan Siberechts, 1671, is today in the collection of Belvoir Castle.
Title: Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
Year Published: 1981
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Cotton family, 15th century until 1671. Henry Jermyn, 3rd Baron Jermyn and 1st Baron Dover, 17th century; Jermyn family here from circa 1674 until 1732. Charles Seymour, 6th Duke of Somerset, 1732-48. John Manners, 3rd Duke of Rutland, 18th century; Manners family here from 1750 until 1892. Colonel H. McCalmont, 1892-1920.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
Ownership Details: Cheveley Park Stud occupies part of the former estate.