The House as seen in 1760 from "Old and New London," 1880s.
Photo of the Entrance Facade of the House from the Dec 3, 1921 issue of "The Sphere."
A photo of the Ballroom from the Dec 3, 1921 issue of "The Sphere."
A photo of the Grand Staircase from the Dec 3, 1921 issue of "The Sphere."
The Grand Staircase from "Old and New London," 1880s.
A photo of the Large Dining from the Dec 3, 1921 issue of "The Sphere."
A photo of the Library from the Dec 3, 1921 issue of "The Sphere."
Photo of the Music Room from the Dec 3, 1921 issue of "The Sphere."
Vermeil casters from the 4th Earl of Chesterfield's ambassadorial service, today in the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
The 1911 royal warrant issued to Dobbie and Company by the Board of Green Cloth, signed the 10th Earl of Chesterfield.
A 1940s American Chesterfield tin cigarette case. The Chesterfield name was used on more branded products in America than any other British aristocratic title.
Built / Designed For: Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield
House & Family History: Chesterfield House's portico, the French ironwork railings, the columns of the screen facing the courtyard, and the great marble staircase with its bronze balustrade all came from Canons, the great Middlesex palace of the 1st Duke of Chandos. All of these were purchased for Chesterfield House by the 4th Earl of Chesterfield at the 1747 auction of the contents and fittings of Canons. At the demolition of Chesterfield House in 1937 columns from the portico were reassembled in the Temple Lawn at Anglesey Abbey, urns and balustrades went to Buxted Park, the white marble chimneypiece (made by Michael Rysbrack for the Great Drawing Room) and the staircase balustrade were sold to The Metropolitan Museum of Art, while the great marble staircase found its way to the Odeon Cinema at Broadstairs, London (it was destroyed by bombing during World War II). At the end of 2020 the London firm of Ryan & Smith had for sale a monumental white marble and verde antico fireplace that came from the Drawing Room of Chesterfield House. Ryan & Smith purchased the fireplace from the Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk, Virginia. The Chesterfield House ironwork railings (cast and wrought iron with gilt iron and gilt bronze embellishments), probably made by the French ironmonger Jean Montigny in the 1720s for Canons, were put up for sale in 2017 for £305,000; the UK government put a temporary export ban on the railings until October 2017 to enable a UK-based organization to keep them in the country. The demolition of Chesterfield House in 1937 was the catalyst for the founding of The Georgian Group. It was in the Library (see photo in "Images" section) that the 4th Earl of Chesterfield wrote his famous letters to his son.
Collections: The 4th Earl of Chesterfield furnished his new London house with artifacts from Houghton Hall, Norfolk, including an 18-candle copper gilt lantern. A pair of vermeil casters with the arms of King George II, made 1727-28 in London by Paul Crespin and Abraham Buteaux as part of the 4th Earl of Chesterfield's ambassadorial plate service, is today in the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (see photo in "Images" section). Many of the contents were auctioned onsite by Sotheby's on April 7, 1932.
Comments: The French travel writer Pierre-Jean Grosley wrote in his 1770 book "Londres" that he considered Chesterfield House to be the equal of the great houses of the nobility in Paris.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Reference: pg. 1022, 1131
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
Title: Buildings of England: Sussex, The
Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Nairn, Ian
Year Published: 1973
Reference: pg. 466
Publisher: London: Penguin Books
Book Type: Hardback
Title: No Voice From the Hall: Early Memories of a Country House Snooper
Author: Harris, John
Year Published: 1998
Publisher: London: John Murray
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, 18th century. Charles Magniac, 19th century. Henry Lascelles, 6th Earl of Harewood, 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No