Built / Designed For: Walter Ewing-MacLae (Macrae)
House & Family History: Walter Ewing-MacLae used the fortune he acquired in the West India Trade (he and his brother owned Jamaican sugar plantations that were worked by approximately 450 slaves), to build Cathkin House. In 1954 the Train family, the last private owners, donated Cathkin to the National Children's Home (today Action for Children), who opened their first Scottish home for orphans here in 1955. In the late 20th century the house was converted into a residential care facility for the elderly, a purpose it served until the early 21st century. In 2010 Cathkin House was redeveloped into private houses (condos).
Comments: Howard Colvin on Cathkin: "...an agreeably unpretentious and rather old-fashioned house..."
Garden & Outbuildings: In the 1970s the estate was sold and the land developed into housing.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 2008
Reference: pg. 843
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Category B
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: Walter Ewing-MacLae (Macrae), 1799-1814; Humphrey Ewing-MacLae, 1814-60; Jane Ewing-MacLae, 1860-74; Alexander Crum MacLae, 1874-81. Anton Kufeke, 1881-85. William Guthrie, until 1901. Robert Findlay, 1901-10; Jean Findlay, 1910-circa 1918. John Train, circa 1918-1942; Train family here until 1954.
Current Ownership Type: Flat Owners Company / Condo Association
Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No