DiCamillo Companion

Castle Dounie (Castle Downie) (Beaufort Castle)

  • Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house (the first house) by William Adam, Sr. near the site of the current house; this house burned in 1746.

    Built / Designed For: Simon Fraser, 13th Lord Lovat and 2nd Baron Lovat.

    House & Family History: The current 19th century house was built near the ruins of Dounie Castle.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Castle Dounie sits in the middle of a 19,500-acre estate.

  • Architect: James Maitland Wardrop

    Date: 1880
    Designed: New (second) house for 13th Lord Lovat

    View all houses

    Architect: William Adam, Sr.

    Date: Circa 1745
    Designed: First House

    View all houses

    Architect: Reginald Fairlie

    Date: 1938
    Designed: Restoration after 1937 fire

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Category A

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Current Seat / Home of: Ann Gloag; here since 1994.

    Past Seat / Home of: Simon Fraser, 13th Lord Lovat and 2nd Baron Lovat, 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No