Earlier Houses: There was a 12th century castle on the site of the current house.
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Captain John James Barton, 1828-51. David Williams, 1841-69. Sir William Fothergill Cooke, late 19th century. Sir Arthur Osmond Wynn Williams, 1st Bt., until 1925; Sir Bertram Clough Williams-Ellis, 1925-78.
Current Ownership Type: Charity / Nonprofit
Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel
Ownership Details: Today the Portmeirion Hotel, owned by the Portmeirion Foundation.
House Open to Public: By Appointment
Historic Houses Member: No