DiCamillo Companion
Ireland

Cashel Palace (Bishop's Palace)

  • Built / Designed For: Archbishop Theophilus Bolton

    House & Family History: Built in the 18th century as a bishop's palace for the Church of Ireland (Anglican), Cashel Palace was sold by the church the late 1950s and converted into a hotel in the 1960s.

    Collections: The Bolton Library, considered the largest and most important collection of antiquarian books in Ireland outside of Dublin, is today housed at the University of Limerick. The library, originally housed at Cashel Palace, was formed in the 18th century by Archbishop Bolton, who purchased the library of William King, archbishop of Dublin, and combined it with his own substantial library.

  • Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce

    Date: 1730-32
    Designed: House for Archbishop Theophilus Bolton

    View all houses
  • Title: Guide to Irish Country Houses, A
    Author: Bence-Jones, Mark
    Year Published: 1988
    Reference: pg. 61
    Publisher: London: Constable and Company
    ISBN: 0094699909
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Unknown

    Park Listed: Unknown

  • Past Seat / Home of: Archbishop Theophilus Bolton, circa 1730-44. Archbishop Charles Agar, 1st Earl of Normanton, until 1809.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 3536-262-002

    Email: info@cashelpalacehotel.ie

    Website: https://www.cashelpalacehotel.ie/

    Historic Houses Member: No