DiCamillo Companion
Ireland

Carton House

  • House & Family History: Carton is a large house (its entrance facade is 11 bays) particularly noted for its 18th century two-story saloon, which features exuberant Baroque plasterwork by the Francini brothers, parts of which illustrate "the Courtship of the Gods." Created in 1739, the room also boasts a large pipe organ that was installed in 1857 with a Baroque style case designed by Lord Gerald FitzGerald, a son of the 3rd Duke of Leinster. In 1849 Queen Victoria stayed in the Chinese Bedroom at Carton, the first of three visits the queen made to Carton. During World War II Carton House was occupied by the Irish Army, who used the building as the headquarters of the 2nd Infantry Division. In 2000 Carton was sold for €57 million, and, amid protests from preservation groups, developed into a luxury hotel and golf complex.

    Collections: A pair of silver candlesticks from the Leinster Service, made in London by George Wickes in 1746, were for sale in 2015 by the New York City dealer Shrubsole. The Rococo style candlesticks were part of the largest dinner service commissioned in the 18th century, ordered by James FitzGerald, 20th Earl of Kildare and 1st Duke of Leinster, who was the richest man in Ireland.

    Comments: Mark Bence-Jones, writing in "A Guide to Irish Country Houses," called Carton's saloon "...one of the beautiful rooms in Ireland."

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Carton is considered one of the finest examples in Ireland of a Georgian-created parkland landscape. At its height in the 18th century, the Carton Estate spanned 70,000 acres; today it comprises 1,100 acres.

  • Architect: Richard Castle (Cassels)

    Date: 1739-40
    Designed: Rebuilt house for 19th Earl of Kildare

    View all houses

    Architect: Thomas Ivory

    Date: 1763
    Designed: Bridge

    View all houses

    Architect: Richard Morrison

    Date: Circa 1815
    Designed: Remodeled and enlarged house for 3rd Duke of Leinster, including replacement of curved sweeps with straight colonnades.

    View all houses
  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, 1825.

    Country Life: LXXX, 488, 514, 1936.

  • Title: Guide to Irish Country Houses, A
    Author: Bence-Jones, Mark
    Year Published: 1988
    Reference: pg. 60
    Publisher: London: Constable and Company
    ISBN: 0094699909
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Great Irish Houses and Castles
    Author: O'Brien, Jacqueline; Guinness, Desmond
    Year Published: 1992
    Reference: pg. 188
    Publisher: New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc.
    ISBN: 0810933659
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Unknown

    Park Listed: Unknown

  • "Darling Lili" (1970). "Barry Lyndon" (1975). "The Big Red One" (1980). "The Treaty" (1992 - TV movie). "Scarlett" (1994 - TV mini series). "Aristocrats" (1999 - TV mini series, as Carton House). "My Boy Jack" (2007 - TV movie, as Windsor Castle drawing room). "Leap Year" (2010). "Love/Hate" (2010-14 - Irish TV series).
  • Past Seat / Home of: Gerard FitzGerald, 9th Earl of Kildare, until 1534; Thomas FitzGerald, 10th Earl of Kildare, 1534-37; Gerald FitzGerald, 11th Earl of Kildare, 1537-85; Henry FitzGerald, 12th Earl of Kildare, 1585-97; William FitzGerald, 13th Earl of Kildare, 1597-99; Gerald FitzGerald, 14th Earl of Kildare, 1599-1612; Gerald FitzGerald, 15th Earl of Kildare, 1612-20; George FitzGerald, 16th Earl of Kildare, 1620-60; Wentworth FitzGerald, 17th Earl of Kildare, 1660-64; John FitzGerald, 18th Earl of Kildare, 1664-1707; Robert FitzGerald, 19th Earl of Kildare, 1707-44; James FitzGerald, 20th Earl of Kildare, 1st Marquess of Kildare, and 1st Duke of Leinster, 1744-73; William Robert FitzGerald, 2nd Duke of Leinster, 1773-1804; Augustus Frederick FitzGerald, 3rd Duke of Leinster, 1804-74; Charles William FitzGerald, 4th Duke of Leinster, 1874-87; Gerald FitzGerald, 5th Duke of Leinster, 1887-93; Maurice FitzGerald, 6th Duke of Leinster, 1893-1922; FitzGerald family here from 1250 until 1949. Arthur Ronald Nall Nall-Cain, 2nd Baron Brocket, 1949-67; David Lawrence Robert Nall-Cain, 1967-77. Mallaghan family, 1977-2017.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel

    Ownership Details: Since 2000 Carton House Hotel

  • House Open to Public: By Appointment

    Phone: 353-015-052-000

    Fax: 353-016-286-555

    Email: info@cartonhouse.com

    Website: https://www.cartonhouse.com/

    Historic Houses Member: No