An 1890 wood-engraved print of the House
Earlier Houses: A circa 1585 L-shaped house built by Andrew Logan as Royston House was completely rebuilt 1683-96 by Sir George Mackenzie, 1st Viscount Tarbat.
Built / Designed For: Andrew Logan. Rebuilt for Sir George Mackenzie, 1st Viscount Tarbat, on a quadrangular plan.
House & Family History: In 1739 John Campbell, 2nd Duke of Argyll, purchased the 16th century Royston House and renamed it Caroline Park in honor of his daughter, the Countess of Dalkeith. The duke commissioned William Adam to design an extension to the House, which was built between 1740 and 1741. In 1793 Caroline Park was inherited by Henry Scott, 3rd Duke of Buccleuch, and it has remained in the ownership of the dukes of Buccleuch ever since. In the 19th century the House was let to tenants, most notably Henry, Lord Cockburn, and Alicia Scott (Lady John Scott), who composed the standard version of "Annie Laurie." Caroline Park is particularly noted for its sophisticated French-influenced South Façade.
Country Life: XXX, 276 plan, 1911.
Title: Country House in the 1980s, The
Author: Young, John
Year Published: 1981
Reference: pg. 19
Publisher: London: George Allen & Unwin
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Category A
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Andrew Logan, late 16th century. Sir George Mackenzie, 1st Viscount Tarbat, late 17th century. John, 2nd Duke of Argyll, 18th century. Henry Scott, 3rd Duke of Buccleuch and 5th Duke of Queensberry, 18th century. LEASED TO: Henry Thomas Cockburn of Bonaly, Lord Cockburn, 19th century. Alicia Scott (Lady John Scott), 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family
Ownership Details: Owned by the Duke of Buccleuch and let as divided private homes.
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No