The house from a circa 1903 postcard
Built / Designed For: John Spencer
House & Family History: The Spencer-Stanhope family sold the house to Barnsley Council in 1951. In 1957 the council opened the house as a museum.
Garden & Outbuildings: Richard Woods and Thomas Peach landscaped the park in the 18th century.
Architect: John CarrDate: 1778
Architect: Thomas PeachDate: 1760-65
Architect: John CarrDate: 1764-68
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. V, 1822.
Title: Art Treasures of England: The Regional Collections
Author: Waterfield, Giles; et al.
Year Published: 1998
Reference: pg. 50
Publisher: London: Royal Academy of Arts
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat / Home of: John Spencer, 17th century; Walter Spencer-Stanhope, 19th century; Spencer family here until 1951.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Museum
Ownership Details: Owned by Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council