Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house of 1558-1600, built by John Glover, that was destroyed by fire in 1865 and replaced by the 19th century house that is the focus of this record.
Built / Designed For: John Sheppeard VI
House & Family History: William Lowther was the younger brother of the 3rd Earl of Lonsdale. Lowther's oldest son was the speaker of the House of Commons from 1905 until 1921, when he was made Viscount Ullswater.
Garden & Outbuildings: The Coach House, Stables, Gardener's Cottage, and squash court were converted into multiple housing units in the 1950s. The former squash court is today called Campsea Ashe House.
Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
Year Published: 1981
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: John Glover, 16th century; William Glover, 17th century. John Sheppeard III, 18th century. SEATED AT 19TH CENTURY HOUSE: John Sheppeard VI, 19th century; Sheppeard family here from 1648 until 1883. The Hon. William Lowther, 1883-1912; James William Lowther, 1st Viscount Ullswater, 1912-49. Lady Delaney, 1949.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No