Built / Designed For: Robert Duncan
House & Family History: Camperdown House was built for Robert Duncan, a son of the celebrated Admiral Adam Duncan, whose victory over the Dutch fleet in 1797 at the Battle of Camperdown saved Britain from invasion. The admiral, a native of Dundee, was awarded a huge annual pension by Parliament for his victory, which enabled his heirs to build the House, named, of course, after the famous battle. Camperdown House is today the largest Greek Revival style house in Scotland.
Garden & Outbuildings: The Park was originally laid out in the early 19th century by Robert Duncan (for whom the House was built), with the assistance of David Taylor. As of 2018 Camperdown Park stood at 400 acres and is home to over 190 species of trees, which is why it is today part of the National Tree Collections of Scotland.
House Listed: Category A
Park Listed: Designated Garden & Designed Landscape
Past Seat / Home of: Robert Duncan, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Unoccupied
Ownership Details: Since 1946 owned by Dundee City Council and operated by them as a public park.