An 1829 engraving of the House from "Neale's Views of Seats"
Earlier Houses: There is an earlier house of the Dennistouns, still extant, on the east side of Colgrain.
Built / Designed For: John Dennistoun
House & Family History: Edward, Prince of Wales, and Mrs. Simpson (who was a descendant of the Dennistoun family) supposedly stayed at Camis Eskan in the 1930s. During World War II the House was requisitioned by the government and used as a hospital for Polish Army casualties. In 1946 the Campbell family sold Camis Eskan to Dunbartonshire County Council, who used it for a hospital, initially for TB patients, and later as a geriatric hospital. Post World War II the grounds were used as a homeless camp. In 1979 a developer turned the house into eight flats, while simultaneously converting some of the outbuildings into three coach houses.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. V, 1829.
House Listed: Category B
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: John Dennistoun, 17th century; James Dennistoun, 19th century; Dennistoun family here 1351 until 1836. Colin Campbell, 19th century; Campbell family here until 1946.
Current Ownership Type: Flat Owners Company / Condo Association
Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family
Ownership Details: House is divided into eight flats, with three coach houses in outbuildings.
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No