DiCamillo Companion
England

Camden Place

  • Earlier Houses: The antiquary William Camden had a house on the site of the current house in the 17th century.

    House & Family History: Camden Place is a primarily 19th century yellow brick house with red brick window dressings in the 18th century style. The House was leased to the French Emperor Napoleon III and Empress Eugenie in September 1870. The emperor died here on January 9, 1873; the empress continued to occupy Camden Place until the death of her son, the prince imperial, in 1879, after which she moved to Farnborough in Hampshire.

  • Architect: James Stuart

    Date: 1779-80
    Designed: Choragic Monument

    View all houses
  • Title: James "Athenian" Stuart, 1713-1788: The Rediscovery of Antiquity
    Author: Soros, Susan Weber (Editor)
    Year Published: 2006
    Reference: pg. 338
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300117132
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: William Camden, 1609-23. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Lord Chief Justice Sir Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden, 18th century. Ernest Bonar, until 1860. N.W.J. Strode, 1860-? Emperor Napoleon III and Empress Eugenie, 1870s.

    Current Ownership Type: Club

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Country Club / Golf Club

    Ownership Details: Owned by Chislehurst Golf Club, who use the House as their clubhouse.

  • House Open to Public: No

    Phone: 02084-672-782

    Fax: 02082-950-874

    Email: enquiries@chislehurstgolfclub.co.uk

    Website: http://www.chislehurstgolfclub.co.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No