DiCamillo Companion
Scotland

Callendar House (Callender House) (Thanes Hall) (Thane House)

  • Earlier Houses: An earlier house, called Thanes Hall or Thane House, was located to the east of the current house.

    House & Family History: Alexander, 5th Lord Livingston, was the guardian of Mary, Queen of Scots, during her childhood. The marriage agreement between Mary and the French Dauphin was signed at Callendar House. Lady Anne Livingston hosted Bonnie Prince Charlie at Callendar before the Battle of Falkirk in 1746.

    Comments: Callendar House is considered one of Scotland's finest stately homes. Historic Scotland called Callendar and its associated buildings "...the grandest and most prominent group of buildings in Falkirk."

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Callendar House lies on the line of the 2nd century AD Antonine Wall. Built by the Romans from the Firth of Clyde to the Firth of Forth, the Antonine Wall represented the northernmost frontier barrier of the Roman Empire.

    Chapel & Church: "Outlander" (2016 - TV series, for the kitchen scene in the 11th episode of the second season).

  • Architect: Wardrop & Reid

    Date: 1869-77
    Designed: Rebuilt House in French chateau style

    View all houses

    Architect: James Craig

    Date: 1785
    Designed: Alterations for William Forbes
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses

    Architect: Archibald Elliot

    Date: 1815-16
    Designed: Forbes Mausoleum

    View all houses

    Architect: David Hamilton

    Date: 1827-28
    Designed: Library

    View all houses
  • House Listed: Category A

    Park Listed: Listed as a Garden & Designed Landscape

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE (THANES HALL): Sir Patrick Callander, 5th Thane, 14th century; Callander family here until 1345. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Sir William Livingston, 14th century; Sir Alexander Livingston, 15th century; Alexander, 5th Lord Livingston, 16th century; James Livingston, 5th Earl of Linlithgow and 4th Earl of Callendar, 18th century; Livingston family here from the 14th century until 1715. James Hay, 15th Earl of Erroll, 18th century. William Forbes, 18th century; Forbes family here from 1783 until 1963,

    Current Ownership Type: Charity / Nonprofit

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction

    Ownership Details: Since 1963 owned by Falkirk Council; since 2011 operated by Falkirk Community Trust.

  • House Open to Public: Yes

    Phone: 01324-503-770

    Fax: 01324-503-771

    Email: [email protected]

    Website: https://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org

    Historic Houses Member: No

VISIT AND HELP PRESERVE HISTORIC BRITISH HOUSES

Help preserve Britain’s privately owned country houses by joining Historic Houses. Use code DICAM7 for a £7 discount off a new membership that will give you access to hundreds of historic houses.

Join Now