Earlier Houses: The priory was founded for Augustinian Canons in 1171 by Randulph de Glanville, the same man who founded the Leiston Abbey. The priory arch from the former church which leads to the south transept, dated circa 1300, survives.
House & Family History: Mary Tudor, sister to Henry VIII, was a frequent visitor between 1515 and 1519; in 1527 she stayed for two months, accompanied by her new husband, Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk.
Comments: The gatehouse is considered one of the most ambitious 14th century buildings in Suffolk.
Country Life: LXXIII, 308, 1932.
Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
Year Published: 1981
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Seat / Home of: Frances Shelley, since 1997. The Gatehouse is owned by Sir Edward Greenwell.
Past Seat / Home of: Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk, 16th century. William Forthe, 16th century. Leicester Devereux, 7th Viscount Hereford, 17th century. John Clyatt, 17th century. Sir Bernard Eyre Greenwell, 2nd Bt., late 19th-early 20th centuries.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
Ownership Details: Available for private events.