The house from a circa 1905 postcard
Earlier Houses: There was probably an earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.
Built / Designed For: P. Saithard
House & Family History: Buchan Hill is an enormous, red brick, late Victorian mansion built in the Elizabethan style for the extraordinarily successful ostrich-feather merchant P. Saithard. In the 1950s Cottesmore School moved here from Hove, Sussex, and continue to occupy the Estate today.
Garden & Outbuildings: The Buchan Hill Estate had been owned in the early 19th century by The Hon. Thomas Erskine (lord chancellor from 1806 until 1807), son of the Earl of Buchan.
Architect: George & PetoDate: 1882-83
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: The Hon. Thomas Erskine, early 19th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Philip Felix Renaud Saillard, late 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: School
Primary Current Ownership Use: School
Ownership Details: Since 1955 Cottesmore School
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No