House & Family History: Bothwell House was built by the earls of Forfar in the late 17th century to replace the nearby 13th century Bothwell Castle, which was abandoned by the family upon the completion of Bothwell House. In the early 20th century Bothwell House began to suffer from mining subsidence and had to be demolished in 1926.
Collections: In June of 1919 Christie's auctioned the contents of Bothwell House. Included in the sale were a pair of fine George III ormolu and blue john two-light candelabrum by Matthew Boulton; in July of 1998 Christie's sold one of the pair for £51,000 from the collection of Wentworth Woodhouse, Yorkshire.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Archibald Douglas, 1st Earl of Forfar and 2nd Earl of Ormonde, 17th century.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No