The House from a circa 1922 postcard
Built / Designed For: Williams family
House & Family History: Bodelwyddan Castle was built in the 1830s, with the battlements and towers added in 1886. The Castle was occupied by the Williams family, for whom it was built, until the early 20th century, when the Estate was turned into a private girls' school. In 1982 Bodelwyddan was purchased by Clwyd County Council, who restored part of the Castle and opened it as a museum housing the Victorian collection of The National Portrait Gallery. The council could not afford the maintain the Castle, so, in 1993, Warner Holidays took a long lease on Bodelwyddan and opened it as a country house hotel in 1994.
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Sir William Williams, late 17th century; Sir John Williams, 1st Bt., early 19th century; Sir John Hay Williams, 2nd Bt., mid-19th century; Sir William Grenville Williams, 4th Bt., until 1904; Williams family here from the 1690s until 1919.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel
Ownership Details: Owned by Denbighshire County Council, who let part of the Castle to Warner Lesiure Hotels.
House Open to Public: By Appointment
Historic Houses Member: No