An 1829 engraving of the House from "Neale's Views of Seats"
The House from a circa 1906 postcard
House & Family History: Blithfield is a medieval house, with later alterations and additions, built around a central courtyard. In the 19th century the 2nd Lord Bagot gave the House its romantic Gothick appearance. His alterations also included the magnificent 1822 plasterwork by Bernasconi in the Great Hall. In 1945 Gerald, 5th Lord Bagot, sold the House to the South Staffordshire Water Works, who planned to make a reservoir in the Park. On the death of the 5th Lord his son, Caryl, the 6th Lord, re-purchased the House and began the long process of restoration. Blithfield opened to daily visitors in 1956 and closed in 1977. In 1986 the House was divided into four separate houses, one on each side; the main part, which contains the Great Hall, is in the ownership of the Bagot Jewitt Trust, and remains the home of the Bagot family.
Architect: Samuel WyattDate: 1769
Architect: Joseph WyattDate: 1769
Architect: Richard TrubshawDate: Circa 1740
Architect: Charles CopeDate: Late 18th century
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 126, 1855.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. IV, 1821. 2.S. Vol. V, 1829.
Country Life: CXVI, 1488, 1576 plan, 1664, 1954.
Title: James "Athenian" Stuart, 1713-1788: The Rediscovery of Antiquity
Author: Soros, Susan Weber (Editor)
Year Published: 2006
Reference: pg. 329
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Follies, Grottoes and Garden Buildings
Author: Headley, Gwyn; Meulenkamp, Wim
Year Published: 1999
Publisher: London: Aurum Press Ltd.
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Grade I
Park Listed: Not Listed
Seat of: Nancy, Lady Bagot; Bagot family here since 1360.
Past Seat of: Roger de Lacy, 11th century. William Bagot, 3rd Baron Bagot, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Flat Owners Company / Condo Association
Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family
Ownership Details: The House was divided into four flats in 1986, with the main part remaining in the ownership of the Bagot Jewitt Trust.
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No