DiCamillo Companion
DiCamillo Griffin Logo

Blickling Hall (Blickling Park)

  • Earlier Houses: The current house was built on the ruins of the old Boleyn family house.

    Built / Designed For: Sir Henry Hobart, 1st Bt.

    House & Family History: Robert Lyminge designed Blickling between 1616 and 1627 for Sir Henry Hobart, lord chief justice of the Common Pleas and 1st Baronet, who purchased the estate from Robert Clere in 1616. Sir Henry was one of the "new men" who made a fortune in the law during the reign of Elizabeth I. Blickling is famed for its spectacular Long Gallery and outstanding plasterwork ceilings. King Charles II and Queen Catherine of Braganza were probably guests at here in 1671. The 11th Marquess of Lothian, British ambassador to Washington, left Blickling to the National Trust at his death in 1940; just before he died Lord Lothian helped to initiate the Country Houses Scheme of the National Trust, of which Blickling was one of the first acquisitions. During World War II the house was requisitioned and served as the officers' mess of nearby RAF Oulton. Royal Air Force servicemen and women were billeted within the grounds in Nissen huts, while RAF officers were housed in great house itself. The National Trust has created the RAF Oulton Museum onsite in tribute to the RAF pilots and ground crew who served in the Second World War. Though it was at the earlier house, Blickling is most famous today as a seat of Thomas Boleyn, 1st Earl of Wiltshire and 1st Earl of Ormond, father of Anne Boleyn. Although the exact birth dates of their children are unknown, historians are confident that all three surviving Boleyn children, including Anne, were likely born at Blickling.

    Collections: Blickling contains notable collections of furniture, pictures, books, and tapestries (particularly noteworthy is the "Battle of Poltava" tapestry of 1764, probably given to the 2nd Earl of Buckinghamshire by Catherine the Great). With approximately 13,000 volumes, the Ellys Library at Blickling is considered one of most important collections of manuscripts and books in England, and the finest library in the care of the National Trust. Sir William Paston commissioned a large collection of statues for display at Oxnead Hall, Norfolk; of these, Nicholas Stone's statue of Hercules, circa 1640, is today at Blickling.

    Comments: Blickling is considered one of England's greatest Jacobean houses.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The house today sits in an estate of 5,000 acres. The 17th century fountain of Hercules and Diana is from Oxnead Hall. William Ivory's orangery dates from 1781. Joseph Bonomi designed the famous mausoleum in 1794 as a 45-square-foot pyramid which stands 40 feet high. W.E. Nesfield and Sir Matthew Wyatt together designed the parterre in 1872; Norah Lindsay remodeled the parterre circa 1930.

  • Architect: William Burn

    Date: 1864
    Designed: Alterations to West Range for 8th Marquess of Lothian

    View all houses

    Architect: John Adey Repton

    Date: Circa 1823-30
    Designed: Alterations and additions for Dowager Lady Suffield, including restoration of West Front, new arcades to wings, Clock Tower, and estate cottages.

    View all houses

    Architect: Samuel Wyatt

    Date: 1782
    Designed: Work for 2nd Earl of Buckinghamshire, probably including Orangery.

    View all houses

    Architect: Norah Lindsay

    Date: 1930s
    Designed: Simplified gardens

    View all houses

    Architect: William Eden Nesfield

    Date: 1872
    Designed: Parterre, together with Matthew Wyatt

    View all houses

    Architect: Matthew Wyatt

    Date: 1872
    Designed: Parterre, together with W.E. Nesfield

    View all houses

    Architect: Joseph Bonomi the Elder

    Date: 1794-96
    Designed: Pyramid Mausoleum

    View all houses

    Architect: Robert Lyminge

    Date: 1616-27
    Designed: House

    View all houses

    Architect: Thomas Ivory

    Date: Circa 1765-86
    Designed: Major alterations to House for John Hobart, 2nd Earl.

    View all houses

    Architect: William Ivory

    Date: 1779-81
    Designed: Redecorated state bedroom; added Orangery.

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 131, 1855.

    John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. III, 1820.

    Country Life: XVIII, 822, 1905. LXVII, 814, 902, 936, 1930. LXXXIX, 160, 1941.

  • Title: Belton House Guidebook - 1992
    Author: Tinniswood, Adrian
    Year Published: 1992
    Reference: pg. 2
    Publisher: London: The National Trust
    ISBN: 0707801133
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: Country House Garden: A Grand Tour, The
    Author: Jackson-Stops, Gervase; Pipkin, James (Photographer)
    Year Published: 1987
    Reference: pg. 19
    Publisher: New York: New York Graphic Society (Boston: Little, Brown and Company)
    ISBN: 0821216686
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Tudor House and Garden: Architecture and Landscape in the Sixteenth and Early Seventeenth Centuries, The
    Author: Henderson, Paula
    Year Published: 2005
    Reference: pg. 197
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300106874
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Reference: pgs. 191, 805, 1126
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
    Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
    Year Published: 1981
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110351
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Grade II*

  • "Sense and Sensibility" (1995). "All the King's Men" [aka World War I: The Killing Fields"] (1999 - TV movie, as exterior of Sandringham). "Tristram Shandy: A Cock & Bull Story" (2005).
  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Sir John Fastolf, until 1459. Thomas Boleyn, 1st Earl of Wiltshire, 1st Earl of Ormond, and 1st Viscount Rochford, 1499-1507. Robert Clere, until 1616. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Sir Henry Hobart, 1st Bt., 1619-25; Sir John Hobart, 2nd Bt., 1625-47; Sir John Hobart, 3rd Bt., 1647-83; Sir Henry Hobart, 4th Bt., 1683-98; Sir John Hobart, 5th Baronet and 1st Earl of Buckinghamshire, 1698-1756; John Hobart, 2nd Earl of Buckinghamshire, 1756-93. Dowager Lady Suffield, 19th century. William Schomberg Robert Kerr, 8th Marquess of Lothian, until 1870; Schomberg Henry Kerr, 9th Marquess of Lothian, 1870-1900; Robert Schomberg Kerr, 10th Marquess of Lothian, 1900-30; Philip Henry Kerr, 11th Marquess of Lothian, 1930-40.

    Current Ownership Type: The National Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction

  • House Open to Public: Yes

    Phone: 01263-738-030

    Fax: 01263-731-660

    Email: [email protected]

    Website: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No


Help preserve Britain’s privately owned country houses by joining Historic Houses. Use code DICAM7 for a £7 discount off a new membership that will give you access to hundreds of historic houses.

Join Now