Earlier Houses: There were two previous houses on the site, the earliest dating to the 10th century.
Built / Designed For: Cormac MacCarthy
House & Family History: Site of the Blarney Stone, the current Blarney Castle is the third house erected on this site. The first building was erected in the 10th century and was a wooden structure. Circa 1210 this was replaced by a stone structure, which was demolished for its foundations in the 15th century; this was, in turn, replaced circa 1446 with the third castle, built by Dermot McCarthy, King of Munster, the remains of which stand today.
House Listed: Unknown
Park Listed: Unknown
Past Seat / Home of: Cormac MacCarthy, 15th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction