DiCamillo Companion

Biggin Hall

  • House & Family History: The manor of Biggin was originally held by the abbots of Peterborough; during the Dissolution of the Monasteries the manor passed to Katherine Parr, then to the Russell family; by 1688 Biggin was a seat of William Herbert, 1st Marquess of Powis. The Herbert family sold the Estate to James Joye in 1724.

  • Architect: Charles Henry Biddulph-Pinchard

    Date: Circa 1911
    Designed: Remodeled and extended House

    View all houses
  • Country Life: CXVI, 1758, 1852, 1954.

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Current Seat / Home of: Watts-Russell family; here since 1822.

    Past Seat / Home of: Katherine Parr, 16th century. Russell family, 16th century. William Herbert, 1st Marquess of Powis, late 17th century. James Joye, 18th century. Jesse Watts-Russell, 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No