DiCamillo Companion

Bifrons House (Bifrons Park) (Bifrons Place)

  • Built / Designed For: John Bargrave

    House & Family History: A circa 1695-1705 birds-eye view of Bifrons, as it appeared in its original 17th century guise, attributed to Jan van der Vaardt, Jan Wyck, John Wootton, or Jan Siberechts is today in the collection of the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, Connecticut. During World War II (1939-45) the house was occupied by the British military; after the war the government returned the house to the Conyngham family in such horrible condition that the decision was taken soon thereafter to demolish it.

  • Architect: Thomas Frederick Hunt

    Date: Circa 1825
    Designed: Rebuilt house for Dowager Marchioness Conyngham

    View all houses

    Architect: George H. Smith

    Date: 1835
    Designed: Alterations and additions for Dowager Marchioness Conyngham

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pgs. 548, 949
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Past Seat / Home of: John Bargrave, 1610-24; Robert Bargrave, 1624-58; John Bargrave, 1658-61. Sir Arthur Slingsby, 1st Bt., 1662-66; Sir Charles Slingsby, 2nd Bt., 1666-77. Thomas Baker, 1677-78. William Whotton, 1678-80. Thomas Adrian, 1680-94. John Taylor, 1694-1729; Dr. Brook Taylor, 1729-31; The Rev. Herbert Taylor, 1731-63; Herbert Taylor, 1763-70; The Rev. Edward Taylor, 1770-98; Edward Taylor, 1798-1830. Henry Conyngham, 1st Marquess Conyngham, 1830-32; Francis Nathaniel Conyngham, 2nd Marquess Conyngham, 1832-76; George Henry Conyngham, 3rd Marquess Conyngham, 1876-82; Henry Francis Conyngham, 4th Marquess Conyngham, 1882-97; Victor George Henry Francis Conyngham, 5th Marquess Conyngham, 1897-1918; Frederick William Burton Conyngham, 6th Marquess Conyngham, 1918-48.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No