A 1817 engraving of the house from "The Beauties of England and Wales"
Built / Designed For: Sir Thomas Browne
House Replaced By: In the 19th century a new, larger house was built on a different site on the estate.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. IV, 1821.
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Thomas Browne, 15th century; Sir Adam Browne, 2nd Bt., until 1690. William Fenwicke, late 17th century. Abraham Tucker, until 1774. Henry Peters, 1798-1827. David Barclay, 1820s. Henry Thomas Hope, 1834-62. Major General Edward Henry Goulburn, 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
Ownership Details: Sold in 2008 by Mole Valley District Council for £1 to building historian Martin Higgins, who is preserving the site with grant funding.
House Open to Public: Limited Access
Historic Houses Member: No