Arms of the earls of Bessborough and the Entrance Facade of Bessborough House from a 1907 John Player & Sons cigarette card
Signature (lower left) of the 4th Earl of Bessborough from an 1812 document
Earlier Houses: The current house replaced an earlier house.
Built / Designed For: 1st Earl of Bessborough
House & Family History: The current house burned in 1923 during The Troubles, after which it was rebuilt to a similar design.
House Listed: Unknown
Park Listed: Unknown
Past Seat / Home of: Brabazon Ponsonby, 1st Earl of Bessborough, 1744-58; William Ponsonby, 2nd Earl of Bessborough, 1758-93; Frederick Ponsonby, 3rd Earl of Bessborough, 1793-1844; John William Ponsonby, 4th Earl of Bessborough, 1844-47; John George Brabazon Ponsonby, 5th Earl of Bessborough, 1847-80; Frederick George Brabazon Ponsonby, 6th Earl of Bessborough, 1880-95; Walter William Brabazon Ponsonby, 7th Earl of Bessborough, 1895-1906; Edward Ponsonby, 8th Earl of Bessborough, 1906-20; Vere Brabazon Ponsonby, 9th Earl of Bessborough, 1920-35; Ponsonby family here until 1944.
Current Ownership Type: School
Primary Current Ownership Use: School
Ownership Details: Today Kildalton Agricultural and Horticultural College
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No