House & Family History: Berkhamsted Place was a courtyard house built circa 1580 by Sir Edward Cary. It was a gabled, symmetrical house with wings that projected in two steps. Berkhamsted was altered in 1610-11 and again in 1662, after a fire destroyed over 60% of the House. In 1967 the remainder of Berkhamsted was demolished; a fragment of the 16th century stone and flint chequer front survives and was installed near a medieval house called Ash. Berkhamsted Place stood at the top of Castle Hill.
Garden & Outbuildings: Cottages and some other outbuildings from the Estate are extant, as well as a stone and flint Gateway. The remaining grounds were built over in the 1960s.
House Listed: Not Listed
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat of: Sir Edward Cary, 16th century.
Current Ownership Type: Unknown
Primary Current Ownership Use: Ruinous
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No