DiCamillo Companion

Belvedere (Belvidere)

  • House & Family History: Belvedere was an 18th century brick house with Diocletian windows above canted bays. It's considered Athenian Stuart's only complete country house (it was the only truly structural country house work he completed) and remains his first and only commission to rebuild a villa from the ground up (other than additions to the wings at Shugborough, Stuart's work was confined to interior remodeling, the displaying of collections, and the design of garden and folly buildings). The interiors at Belvedere were notable for the collaboration between Stuart and Josiah Wedgwood: a pine chimneypiece formerly in the Anteroom to the Dining Room, and probably installed at Belvedere in the 1780s, had Wedgwood lilac and green jasperware plaques set into it (this chimneypiece was saved during the demolition of the House and re-installed in another house). Another chimneypiece was decorated with capitals that imitated the order of the Erechtheum on the Acropolis. Matthew Boulton supplied die-stamped pewter decoration for the doors, chimneypieces, and walls at Belvedere; some of this decoration was salvaged and purchased in 1961 by antique dealer Thomas Crowther. Belvedere resembled, both inside and out, Stuart's work at Montagu House, London (1776-82), though it predates his work there by nearly 10 years. The Great Room that was attached to side of House is believed to have been Lord Baltimore's, due to its resemblance to the French interiors at Woodcote Park. For much of the early part of the 20th century the House was occupied by the Royal Alfred Home for Aged Seamen (aka The Merchant Seamen's Hospital); it was demolished between 1959 and 1961, when the Royal Alfred Home vacated Belvedere for a new building nearby.

  • Architect: Thomas Hopper

    Date: Circa 1825
    Designed: Unspecified work for 14th Lord Saye & Sele
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses

    Architect: James Stuart

    Date: Circa 1775
    Designed: Rebuilt House for 1st Baron Eardley

    View all houses

    Architect: Isaac Ware

    Date: Circa 1750
    Designed: Great Room for 5th Baron Baltimore
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 137, 1855.

  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Reference: pgs. 516, 941, 1023
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: James "Athenian" Stuart, 1713-1788: The Rediscovery of Antiquity
    Author: Soros, Susan Weber (Editor)
    Year Published: 2006
    Reference: pgs. 304-306
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300117132
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: England's Lost Houses From the Archives of Country Life
    Author: Worsley, Giles
    Year Published: 2002
    Reference: pg. 188
    Publisher: London: Aurum Press
    ISBN: 1854108204
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, The
    Author: Newman, John
    Year Published: 2000
    Reference: pg. 151
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: 0140710388
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Portland Vase, The (British Museum Objects in Focus)
    Author: Walker, Susan
    Year Published: 2004
    Reference: pgs. 33, 34
    Publisher: London: The British Museum Press
    ISBN: 0714150223
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: No Voice From the Hall: Early Memories of a Country House Snooper
    Author: Harris, John
    Year Published: 1998
    Publisher: London: John Murray
    ISBN: 0719555671
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore, until 1751. Sampson Gideon (Eardley), 1st Baron Eardley, until 1824. Gregory William Eardley-Twisleton-Fiennes, 14th Baron Saye and Sele, until 1844.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No