DiCamillo Companion

Beechwood Park

  • Earlier Houses: The current house of 1702 was appended to an earlier house.

    Built / Designed For: Thomas Saunders

    House & Family History: A nunnery called St. Giles-in-the-Wood (founded circa 1150) stood near the site of the current house; however, nothing remains of the nunnery today, save some medieval masonry in the basement of the present house. The East Façade of 1702 is of nine bays by two stories with a central three-bay pediment. It was added by Sir Edward Sebright to an existing house and is of purple and red brick chequer with stone quoins. In the 1920s stone surrounds were added to the windows on the East Façade. Matching north and south wings, each of five bays, were added circa 1750 to the East Facade; these are attributed to Capability Brown. The wings were at one time attached to the main house by arcades, now replaced with red brick links. In 1851-54 William Burn was employed to add to the West Façade and convert the central courtyard between the old and new parts of the House into a hall. The former Dining Room and the Boudoir were decorated by, and have fireplaces designed by, William Chambers, circa 1761. There is also a wing designed by Roger Morris that was re-fitted as a Library by Cundy, Sr., circa 1804. Beechwood has been a school since 1964.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: In 1975 the Coach House and Stables of 1866 were converted into a gymnasium. The grounds of the Estate were landscaped by Capability Brown in the 1750s.

  • Architect: William Burn

    Date: 1851-54
    Designed: Converted Central Courtyard between old and new house into Hall. Embellished West Façade.

    View all houses

    Architect: Lancelot Brown

    Date: Circa 1750
    Designed: North and South wings on East Façade
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses

    Architect: William Oldham Chambers

    Date: Circa 1761
    Designed: Decorated and designed fireplaces for Old Dining Room and Boudoir

    View all houses

    Architect: Roger Morris

    Designed: Wing

    View all houses

    Architect: Thomas Cundy, Sr.

    Date: 1804
    Designed: Furnished Morris's Wing as Library

    View all houses

    Architect: Lancelot Brown

    Date: 1750s
    Designed: Landscaped grounds

    View all houses
  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, 1819.

  • Title: Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, The
    Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget
    Year Published: 2000
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: 0140710078
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Sir Richard Page, 16th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Thomas Saunders, 17th century. Sir Edward Sebright, 3rd Bt., 18th century; Sir Thomas Gage Saunders Sebright, 8th Bt., 19th century; Sir Giles Sebright, 12th Bt., 20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: School

    Primary Current Ownership Use: School

    Ownership Details: Owned and occupied by Beechwood Park School since 1964.

  • House Open to Public: No

    Phone: 01582-840-333

    Fax: 01582-842-372

    Website: https://www.beechwoodpark.com

    Historic Houses Member: No