The House from an 1831 engraving
House & Family History: Beaudesert was the primary seat of the Paget family, marquesses of Anglesey. The Estate came into the family circa 1550 through William Paget, 1st Baron Paget. The family fortune was based on lead and coal mines in Staffordshire and North Wales and from a storied cooper mine on the Isle of Anglesey. The 6th Marquess (succeeded to the title in 1905) was often mentioned as the third-richest man in England. In 1913 Lord Anglesey set about enlarging Beaudesert, but after the Great War was forced, in 1924, to put it up for sale, economic conditions no longer allowing the support of such a house. The family decamped and moved to their Welsh seat, Plas Newydd, on the Isle of Anglesey. Beaudesert stayed on the market for 10 years, unable to find a buyer; finally, it was sold to a housebreaking company, who demolished it in 1935. Some of the bricks were used to reface St. James's Palace in London; Gournay Court contains strapwork and paneling from Beaudesert.
Garden & Outbuildings: When the 6th Marquess broke up the Estate much of the timber and woodland was chopped down and sold. Today some of the former Estate land is used as a Scout and Guide camp.
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 97, 1855.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. IV, 1821.
Country Life: XLVI, 658, 688, 1919.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Reference: pg. 1114
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
Title: England's Lost Houses From the Archives of Country Life
Author: Worsley, Giles
Year Published: 2002
Publisher: London: Aurum Press
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Country House in the 1980s, The
Author: Young, John
Year Published: 1981
Reference: pgs. 91-92
Publisher: London: George Allen & Unwin
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat of: Henry Bayley-Paget, 1st Earl of Uxbridge, 18th century; Henry Paget, 4th Marquess of Anglesey, 19th century; Paget family here from 1550 until 1935.
Current Ownership Type: Unknown
Primary Current Ownership Use: Ruinous
House Open to Public: Ruin
Historic Houses Member: No