DiCamillo Companion

Bayham Abbey (Bayham Hall)

  • Built / Designed For: 3rd Marquess Camden

    Collections: The Camden archives were sold by negotiation to the Kent Record Office in 1986. Sir Thomas Lawrence's "General Sir Charles Stewart, later 3rd Marquess of Londonderry," was sold to the National Gallery for £435,000.

  • Architect: David Brandon

    Date: 1870-72
    Designed: House for John Charles Pratt, 3rd Marquess Camden.

    View all houses
  • Title: No Voice From the Hall: Early Memories of a Country House Snooper
    Author: Harris, John
    Year Published: 1998
    Publisher: London: John Murray
    ISBN: 0719555671
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Disintegration of a Heritage: Country Houses and their Collections, 1979-1992, The
    Author: Sayer, Michael
    Year Published: 1993
    Publisher: Norfolk: Michael Russell (Publishing)
    ISBN: 0859551970
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: John Charles Pratt, 3rd Marquess Camden, 4th Earl Camden, 3rd Earl of Brecknock, 4th Viscount Bayham, and 4th Baron Camden, 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Flat Owners Company / Condo Association

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family

    Ownership Details: Divided into flats in 1976

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No