Earlier Houses: The current house is probably built on a site originally occupied by a tower house.
Built / Designed For: Allan Whitefoorde
House & Family History: Ballochmyle, as originally built, was a smaller red sandstone version of Dumfries House. The central block was only five bays long, with pavilions of three bays. Between 1887 and 1888 the House was extensively remodeled for Sir Claud Alexander, 1st Bt. in a Jacobean style, leaving it a different house, with little of its original character intact. When Sir Claud died in 1899, the House was let until 1939, when the government acquired the Estate for use as a hospital. During World War II pavilion-style buildings were erected around Ballochmyle, with the big house itself used mainly for staff accommodation and administration. The operation of the hospital was transferred to a local hospital board on the creation of the National Health Service in 1948 and Ballochmyle continued to serve as a civilian hospital. In 2000 Ballochmyle Hospital was closed and the surrounding buildings demolished, while the House fell into disrepair. In 2006 Ardgowan Homes built luxury homes in the grounds; in 2007 the House was converted into luxury flats. Ballochmyle was the home of Wilhelmina Alexander, famous as the bonnie lass of Robert Burns's "The Bonnie Lass o'Ballochmyle."
Architect: William Adam, Sr.Date: 1740s
Vitruvius Scoticus: Adam, W., pl. 63, 1810.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 2008
Reference: pg. 43
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Category B
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Allan Whitefoorde (Whiteford), 1760-67. Sir Claud Alexander, 1st Bt., 1888-99; Alexander family here until circa 1945.
Current Ownership Type: Flat Owners Company / Condo Association
Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family
Ownership Details: House divided into flats in 2007
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No