The House from a circa 1920 postcard
Earlier Houses: There were probably a number of houses on the site of the current house. The only documented one of these was the 13th century castle of the Lennox family, which was demolished and replaced by the current house in the early 19th century.
Built / Designed For: John Buchanan
Garden & Outbuildings: The grounds today include a 200-acre country park.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. VI, 1823. Scotland, 1830.
House Listed: Category A
Park Listed: Designated Garden & Designed Landscape
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Maldouen, Earl of Lennox, 13th century. John Stewart of Darnley, 15th century; James Stewart, 1st Duke of Richmond and 4th Duke of Lennox, 17th century; Stewart family here until 1652. John Colquhoun, 17th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: John Buchanan, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Unoccupied
Ownership Details: Owned by Glasgow City Corporation since 1915
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No