House & Family History: In 1853 Anthony Nathan de Rothschild bought the Aston Clinton Estate and began an extensive program of modernization and improvement, rebuilding the House in a neo-Georgian-Italianate style with verandahs and a large porte-cochere. After the Rothschilds decamped in the early 20th century Aston Clinton became a boys' prep school (where Evelyn Waugh began his teaching career as a junior master), after which it served for a brief time as a hotel. The House was demolished in 1958.
Garden & Outbuildings: In the 19th century Anthony Nathan de Rothschild built a large number of worker's cottages, two schools, and a village hall on the Estate. After the demolition of the House in 1958 Buckinghamshire County Council acquired the Estate with the proviso that it be used for educational purposes. Today the Aston Clinton Estate is used as a residential training center for young people. Many of the original ornamental features of the garden still remain, incorporated into the site, now called Green Park. The remaining Estate buildings - the Stables and a lodge on Stablebridge Road - are used as part of the training center. In 2001, at Waddesdon Manor, a woodland path to the parterre was laid out as the Baron's Walk; this path features two sandstone statues (Venus and Adonis) carved in the 1730s by Jan van Logteren and formerly in the garden of Aston Clinton.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat of: Anthony Nathan de Rothschild, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
Ownership Details: Though the House is gone, the Aston Clinton Estate is owned by Buckinghamshire County Council and used by them as a residential training center for young people.
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No