The house from a 1917 postcard
Earlier Houses: The old manor house of the Howard family, adjacent to St. Giles' Church, was kept when the new (current) house was erected in the 1680s.
Built / Designed For: Richard Bagot
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. IV, 1821.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Richard FitzAlan, 4th or 11th Earl of Arundel, 14th century. Henry Howard, 7th Duke of Norfolk, 17th century; Sir Robert Howard, 17th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Richard Bagot, 18th century. Sir Thomas Lucas, 1st Bt., 1880-89. Pantia Ralli, 1889-1924.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: School
Ownership Details: Since 1924 City of London Freemen's School