DiCamillo Companion

Ashburnham Place (Ashburnham House)

  • Built / Designed For: John Ashburnham (original house in 1665)

    House & Family History: Ashburnham Place was first built in 1665 by John Ashburnham in a simple Wren style; it was later reconstructed and enlarged (circa 1780) by the 2nd Earl of Ashburnham, who added of a new front of 15 bays. In 1813 the exterior was given a Gothick makeover, followed in 1830 by enormous new Tudor style extensions, complete with turrets, with another complete refacing in 1853. The majority of the House was demolished in 1959 (the panels from the Dining Room are today in the collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum). A watercolor of Ashburnham Place by Turner, circa 1810, is today in the collection of the University of Liverpool. Ashburnham was a neighboring estate of Rosehill, the home of the Fuller family (friends of Turner's), and the subject of a number of watercolors by the artist. (We are most grateful to Charles Hind for contributing much to this history of Ashburnham).

  • Architect: Robert Adam

    Date: 1785
    Designed: Entrance lodge for 2nd Earl of Ashburnham

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. I, p. 161, 1854.

    John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. IV, 1828.

    Country Life: XXXIX, 112, 144, 1916. CXIII, 1158, 1246, 1334, 1953.

  • Title: No Voice From the Hall: Early Memories of a Country House Snooper
    Author: Harris, John
    Year Published: 1998
    Publisher: London: John Murray
    ISBN: 0719555671
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Past Seat / Home of: John Ashburnham, 2nd Earl of Ashburnham, 18th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No