The North Library fire surround from a circa 1897 photograph
Built / Designed For: John Ashburnham (original house in 1665)
House & Family History: Ashburnham Place was first built in 1665 by John Ashburnham in a simple Wren style; it was later reconstructed and enlarged (circa 1780) by the 2nd Earl of Ashburnham, who added of a new front of 15 bays. In 1813 the exterior was given a Gothick makeover, followed in 1830 by enormous new Tudor style extensions, complete with turrets, with another complete refacing in 1853. The majority of the House was demolished in 1959 (the panels from the Dining Room are today in the collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum). A watercolor of Ashburnham Place by Turner, circa 1810, is today in the collection of the University of Liverpool. Ashburnham was a neighboring estate of Rosehill, the home of the Fuller family (friends of Turner's), and the subject of a number of watercolors by the artist. (We are most grateful to Charles Hind for contributing much to this history of Ashburnham).
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. I, p. 161, 1854.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. IV, 1828.
Country Life: XXXIX, 112, 144, 1916. CXIII, 1158, 1246, 1334, 1953.
Title: No Voice From the Hall: Early Memories of a Country House Snooper
Author: Harris, John
Year Published: 1998
Publisher: London: John Murray
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: John Ashburnham, 2nd Earl of Ashburnham, 18th century.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No